1. What we are doing for employees
- Our top concern is ensuring the health and safety of our employees, and we expect to invest approximately $4 billion from April to June on COVID-related initiatives getting products to customers and keeping employees safe. This includes spending more than USD $800 million in the first half of the year on COVID-19 safety measures.
- We are creating additional work opportunities to help serve customers during this unprecedented time, with hundreds of roles opening up across our Australian fulfilment centres in the coming weeks.
- We've made over 150 process updates—from enhanced cleaning and social distancing measures to new efforts like disinfectant spraying.
- We've distributed personal protective gear, such as masks for our employees, and implemented disinfectant spraying and temperature checks across our operations worldwide.
- Someone diagnosed with COVID-19 will receive up to two weeks of paid time off—this is in addition to their other paid and unpaid time off options.
- We're working on building scalable testing for coronavirus.
- Amazon employees receive comprehensive health benefits starting on day one of employment.
- We established a $25 million relief fund for partners (e.g. delivery drivers) and seasonal associates facing financial hardship or quarantine.
- Amazon publishes annual letter to shareholders from Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO. Read the letter here.
2. What we are doing for our customers and sellers
- 2020 has been a tough year for Australian businesses, from drought and bushfires through to COVID-19. To show our support, we’ve created a dedicated ‘Shop Local’ store to shine a spotlight on Australian businesses from across the country that need your support during this difficult time.
- To offer new sellers a helping hand as they get setup on Amazon.com.au, we’re offering a subscription fee rebate for three months (total value $149.85) when you register before May 31st*. Simply register today to take advantage of this offer and explore our resources to get online and selling quickly. Visit our Selling on Amazon.com.au website to learn more, see *T&Cs and get started.
- We have made Amazon video, music and more available for free to customers.
- We’re working vigorously to combat price gouging to keep prices fair and protect our customers from those looking to exploit the current crisis.
- We are encouraging contactless delivery to keep our customers safe.
- Customers can help those impacted by COVID-19 by donating to the Australian Red Cross and Foodbank Australia onsite.
3. What we are doing for communities in Australia and around the globe
- To help Australian communities most vulnerable to the impacts of COVID-19, and the health workers on the front lines, we're working with organisations such as Foodbank, the Australian Red Cross, the Starlight Children’s Foundation, The Smith Family and KidsCan to get much needed products, services, and educational support to the people who need them most.
- We continue to work with the community, agencies and local government close to our fulfilment centres in Melbourne, Sydney and Perth (City of Greater Dandenong, Liverpool City Council and City of Belmont) to support hundreds of local organisations as they care for the many vulnerable members within their local communities through initiatives including donations of food, hand sanitizers and clothing.
- We hired 100,000 full and part-time employees, and are now hiring an additional 75,000 globally.
- We launched the $20 million AWS Diagnostic Initiative to accelerate COVID-19 research.
A timeline of global updates can found on Amazon’s COVID-19 vaccination and testing blog.
You can get the latest information about Amazon’s response to COVID-19 by bookmarking this page, and by following @AmazonNews on Twitter.